Monday, August 15, 2005

Long live brevity

I got into Riga at three this morning. I found a great hostel I've been hearing about, right in the heart of the Old Town (have you noticed a trend with these countries?), though there were no beds until noon. Thus, I ended up chatting with some folks in the Hostel pub for a bit, and then went out by the National Opera house to do some reading. The sun came up around five, so I took the cue and explored the city while it slept. Even without anyone on the streets, there seems an energy unique to Riga. This energy is quite apparent during the daytime, and from all I hear, during the later hours. The full update will come.

I bought a ticket for Carmen on Wednesday, so I'll be here for a bit. Might as well get to know the locals in the meantime.

Also, the currency is really crazy. The Lat is more valuable than the British Pound, so everything is priced in really low numbers. On top of this, since everything up to five Lats (ten dollars) is in coins, I can buy a beer and lunch with small change. I feel like I'm living in the old West or something.

***

Last crazy thing before I leave you for tonight; Today, while wandering around Bastion Hill, I stumbled upon the US embassy. I don't know what it was, whether me having been away or what, but just the sight of the flag hanging high above the building filled me with an indescribable awe. Was it pride? I don't even know... it was as if all the BS we hear half-baked Congressmen spouting had been stripped away, and a true love of nation revealed itself. Like at the sight of a pretty girl, I only caught my breath.

I remember once talking with a US national living abroad, and in due course, something I said (likely regarding Naval service) caught his curiosity, and he asked in a slightly surprised tone, "You're a patriot?" It was the oddest question, a serious, slightly incredulous inquiry, just as if he were asking a man chowing on a Whopper, "you're a Vegan?" I didn't know how to properly express my answer. I was a man of faith trying to express himself to he seeking faith. But I did my best, and I'm proud as hell that I can speak of these feelings with the utmost honesty.

To travel the world only to fall deeper in love with my Home; this, this is nothing short of sublime.

2 Comments:

At Tue Aug 16, 12:53:00 PM EDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dude, I look for your latest and am glad when you post.

 
At Tue Aug 23, 12:44:00 PM EDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautifully said.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home