Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Istanbul

This is my second day in Istanbul. The city is nice, but I spent a good amount of time hunting around for the Georgian consulate. I finally grabbed a taxi this morning to head over to the suspected location, harboring a bit of doubt after the last taxi-episode. Everything seemed to be going well until the driver pointed at a hotel and not-so-slickly pressed some buttons on the meter. Within a few minutes, my fare had quadrupled. I kindly asked why he had played with my fare, and he backed down with "Okay, okay! Ten lira." I was cool with this since it was less than what had been on the been on the meter before tampering. So when getting out, I hand him the only bill I have, a fifty lira note (about $36), and before my very eyes, the bill transforms into a Fiver. "Nono, the fare is ten, this only five!"

Well now. Twice; shame on me.

So despite my usual good-nature, I summoned all the rage that my Kern Viking Blood has blessed me with, and let out a mighty bellow. The guy looks like he's going to mess himself, and he hands back the fifty. I then offered a few words on how his "tomfoolery has made it evident that my conscience will not suffer from my withholding payment" (rough translation). Just before slamming the door, however, I'm sure to throw in a "Don't Mess with Texas." I don't want to hurt the reputation of Decent Americans.

Anyhow, after another hour or so tracking down the Georgian consulate, I finally find it and inquire about a visa.

"Which national?"
"American."
"No visas for American."

I'm stunned, crushed for a moment. This could put a kink in plans. Finally I muster the courage to ask why.

"Because now we good friends!"

Ahh! Praise be unto Allah! No visas required for Americans. So I thanked the guy, skipped out, and floated for the rest of the afternoon. Checked out the Grand Bazaar, Blue Mosque, and Hagia Sofia. Really great stuff here.

On my way I also stopped in a rug shop after a guy gave me a guided tour of the Blue Mosque (hey, a pity request to view his rugs is a pretty cheap price). A few days ago, however, I had spent a bit of time chatting with a merchant (who also happened to run my hostel) about rugs. So at this new place, when the merchants started their show, I asked about the price of a certain rug. $1400. I then ask why it's so much, being an Afghan chemical-dyed nylon-blend. The two salesmen look at eachother for a moment, and one finally replies, "sixty dollars." That's it. No demo, no haggling, no apple-tea. Do any readers want me to pick up something on their behalf?

Anyhow, sun is setting, so I'm off to breakfast. I'm working on pictures. Sit tight.





P.S. They just found bird-flu in Turkey. I've come to the conclusion that I'm a carrier. It seems that everywhere I go, they find it. That whole central-China thing? Yeah, they found the dead birds the day I visited Qinghai lake. Just watch, next it'll be Greece.

4 Comments:

At Tue Oct 18, 11:08:00 AM EDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

John,
I've been trying to read your blog on a regular basis and i just have to say, what you're doing is absolutely amazing. You're living my dream. I have always wanted to travel, just start somewhere and work my way around the continents. I don't even have to say it, because i know you are, but i will. I hope you're having an awesome time and i anticipate your return so you can regal us all with your stories. Take it easy man.

Nate

 
At Wed Oct 19, 09:46:00 PM EDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you can handle crooked cab drivers and bazaar rug merchants, you can handle anything. What an education you are getting!
Carpe Diem!

 
At Thu Oct 20, 02:45:00 PM EDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really enjoy reading about your travels. Many of us would like to be in "these here boots".

 
At Thu Oct 20, 02:53:00 PM EDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dude, way to go. You sure don't take any guff from anyone.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home