Saturday, September 17, 2005

Dubrovnik

Hey folks,

Well, I found an upload point, but I have six minutes left, so this might be brief. I did add a few pics to the previous two posts, so check those out.

I got on that big ol' boat, yesterday, and was quite content with what I found. Truth is, I had no idea what 'Deck passage' meant, so I had a bad feeling I'd be out on a metal observation deck all night. I was delightfully surprised to find a big, carpeted room where I could crash! Then, a bunch of old fogarts also began raising hell and moaning to anyone within earshot. It seems they didn't know what deck passage was, either. Anyhow, long boat ride (20hrs), but I started reading Mr. Montaigne's homework assignments, worked on my Russian handwriting, and passed some time with a few Brits. I traded Huck Finn for Life of Pi, too, so I was just peachy.

So after a beautiful cruise down the Dalmatian coast, I got into Dubrovnik. It got dark pretty quickly after I found a room, so I'll have to get up more pics later, but this little town is just gorgeous. White marble streets, huge city walls, and only a few thousand pockmarks from when the Serbs decided to bomb the hell out of this poor town. The holes are all filled by now, but it's still sad to see.


The hostel was filled (by the thousands of LP disciples making the pilgrimage), but I found a room nearby. It seems everybody and their mother is renting out spare rooms to the rich tourists, and the scene getting off the boat was unreal. The mass of people trying to get to the new arrivals must have equaled to the mass trying to get on those last choppers out of Saigon. Anyhow, Mamma Maria nearly died when I didn't try to haggle her down from eight dollars. She'll eat well tonight, I hope.

So, I've gotta go, but I'll get back with some more pics soon.


Stay frosty.

2 Comments:

At Sat Sep 17, 04:47:00 PM EDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Frosty, eh? Easy for you to say as you head for the Greek Islands in tourist-free, but weather-wonderful October. Superb pics!

 
At Mon Sep 19, 05:38:00 PM EDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just checked out your travels on Backpackersjoint. Bratislava,Budapest,Lubljana, Rijeka, Dubrovnik, Sarajevo. Dude, that is one uncommon itinerary. Pictures make great writing even better. Keep on truckin'.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home