Wednesday, September 14, 2005

The Beautiful Blue Danube...

Is neither Beautiful nor Blue. I'll forgive it though, simply because it runs through a little gem of a town that goes by the name of Budapest.

Yeah, I guess I've been truckin' it over the past few days; I spent just a bit of time in Vienna, cruising around the palaces, Plague Columns, and chowing on a few pastries. Also, Wiener Schnitzel is, in my opinion, no more special than regular schnitzel. Anyhow, saw a whole bunch of the city sights, but there weren't any good concerts on, so it was off to the next stop for me.




That next stop was Bratislava, the capital of Slovakia, and a 3euro trip from Vienna. I was thrilled to see the countryside, but the city wasn't too much in my opinion. I guess I was just anxious to head to the next stop, BUDAPEST!

So I had no idea what to expect from Hungary. I guess I was therefore suprised by how cosmo the city and residents are, but the accomodation is still a weak sector. I stopped by every hostel in the city, all of which were full, before I finally sat down to "wait" until a space opened up. And who better to keep me company? Why, a little volume of Bram Stoker's! So yeah, sitting on a bench late at night, in the middle of Hungary, reading Dracula.... I jumped a foot when some dog started howling off in an alley. Eventually I fell asleep, apparently with the book visible, since a young Magyar decided it might be funny to wake me up with a "bluuahh!"

I also bought new pants today.

The Hungarians really know how to spice food, and it seems any culinary ill can be cured with more paprika. I'd list all the gastronomic delights, but I can't hear myself think at the time being. Apologies for the writing.

I'm off to Ljubljana tomorrow morning, and likely Croatia soon after that.

Keep on truckin' folks.



P.S. I bought new pants because the old ones had so many holes. What'd you think?

1 Comments:

At Sat Sep 17, 08:40:00 PM EDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmmmm...that's EXACTLY what I thought...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home